Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 1

I've had experience with juicing in the past, mostly in 2007, when my weight was at an all time high. We had just gotten engaged. Determined to slim down for the wedding, I juice fasted for 10 days. In that time, I was able to drop 15 pounds, and kick start a diet and exercise program that eventually led to a 25 pound weight loss. I got pregnant on our honeymoon in 2008 and the weight found me again. In 2011, after River was born, I was determined to change my shape. I worked out with a trainer, attended group exercise classes, spin classes, Ballet Bar classes, and ate a clean high protein diet. Eventually, I went from a size 12 to a size 6. I don't want to get too hung up on numbers here.
My weight has been up and down. Let's just say, most of the larger clothes I gave away a few years ago-I could use them today. BUT!!!!! I've learned the ONLY way to achieve fitness and weight loss goals is to truly appreciate where you are in the now.

After my appendix burst, I became even more determined to feed my family clean, organic, non GMO food. Even with all the clean eating, I have a tendency to over do it. I LOVE cooking for friends and family, and I LOVE eating what I cook. Let's face it, I'm probably never going to be super skinny again. I'll take enjoying delicious farm fresh food over fitting in to my tiny jeans any day. The doctors said that my appendicitis was a random occurrence. I have a hard time believing it just burst for no reason. Here are the reasons I think it happened:

Too much meat (Paleo Diet)
Stress
Feeling competitive
Not making enough time for myself
Stress, stress, and more stress

I woke up the other day feeling like I really want to make a change. I know that change has to start with an intense reset: Juicing!

So this morning, I went to Whole Foods and spent 70 dollars. I prefer getting my produce at Vitamin Cottage because ALL of their produce is organic and the quality and prices are better. Today, I shopped at WF because that's where I went to buy the Copper River Salmon my husband requested for dinner.



First, I made a GREEN juice:
Bunch Dino Kale
Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
I Cucumber
4 Stalk Celery
2 Carrots
Half Yellow Bell Pepper
Handful of Baby Spinach
Ginger
Lemon
2 Green Apples

I use the same Breville Juicer I bought in 2007, and it's great! It cost about $100 on Amazon. It's really important to drink the juice right away. I drank half the batch immediately and I did save the other half for 2 hours later.



All of the popular websites say to cut out caffeine. NO WAY! There's just no way I could kick caffeine completely. But I did stock up on Organic Yerba Mate. I'm convinced coffee makes me bloated.



Later, I went for a brisk 3 mile walk in the Park Way. At the end I felt faint, so I decided to cheat a little.



I heated up a cup of Roasted Cauliflower Soup I made a few days ago. It's basically cauliflower, onion, celery, jalapeno, roasted and pureed with veggie stock. I had just one cup, plus the rest of the juice I made earlier, and LOTS of water.



I meant to do a Kundalini Yoga routine, but time got away from me.



Part of doing this juice fast is all about cleansing and releasing all that no longer belongs in my body or in my world. At around 1pm, I noticed I felt very chilled, so I did some skin brushing and took a hot detox bath.



I'm really excited about the changes that should occur in the next 21 days. Lately, my chief complaints have been:

Weight Gain
Sluggishness
Insomnia
Not Feeling Social
Procrastination
Stress

My goals in cleansing are to vanquish these symptoms, and start Spring with a new sense of self; free to do anything.

I am lucky to have the most wonderful reasons in the world to take care of my health. This afternoon I convinced them to try some Freshly Juiced Organic Apple Juice! I even let them help work the juicer.



They LOVED the fresh juice!



Then, I made afternoon/dinner juice for myself:


No comments:

Post a Comment